Monday, September 1, 2014

Who in the Hell is that? Oh, its me!


My Story:  Who in the hell is that?

You never know you are sleeping until you are suddenly jolted out of a peaceful slumber and that is exactly what happened to me.  For me it was a picture of a family vacation.  I remember looking at the picture thinking ‘who in the hell is that’!  I mean it looked like me but it must be a bad camera angle or something.  I’m not that fat.  Sure, I had gained a few pounds but…I sat there for a minute wondering if this is how the rest of the world sees me?  Am I the only one who didn’t notice?  How could I have not seen it before? 

in·sid·i·ous adjective \in-ˈsi-dē-əs\ Causing harm in a way that is gradual or not easily noticed.  Insidious is the perfect word to describe the slow creep of our weight.  We don’t become fat overnight.  It’s not like the scene in the Nutty Professor were we suddenly blow up.  It is the gradual increases that goes unnoticed but make no mistake it is causing harm.  As our weight goes up so does the incidence of Type 2 Diabetes and heart disease.  I’m a medical professional and know all the facts and yet somehow I had been lulled into a health slumber and did not notice the increase.  I had all the excuses.  I was busy with work, and coaching my kids, and being involved in other groups and events.  But, the truth was that I had simply not been paying attention.  Suddenly faced with the reality, I realized I had two choices.  To either continue on the path that had gotten me here or begin a new journey to where I wanted to go.  My thoughts went immediately to finding a quick fix to losing weight something fast and easy.  The problem was that through all of my years of education, the one thing that was constant was that there isn’t a quick, easy solution.  It had taken years for the insidious increase to get to this point and it would be a long journey to get to where I wanted to be.  If there was a secret, then you can bet I would have used it to teleport me to where I wanted to be. 

The first step of the journey is to make you a priority and that starts with valuing your time.  Once I found the time the next step was to follow the rules of conditioning to make sure injury wouldn’t short circuit my efforts.  It is a journey but you need to make sure you are on the right path. 
If you have been awoken out of your slumber and If you are ready for a change, join the Healthy Family Challenge!  More information at www.myTERRIO.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment